Jul 8, 2013

Limited Time

"You look so cute with your father" - said a lovely friend of mine the other day. As we haven't met for months, I believe she was referring to the photo I posted just recently on my Facebook.



"He's my old man!!" I replied fondly and proudly. 

Interesting because my friend took my words otherwise as she then kindly said that I shouldn't have said that (read: old). Even more interesting because it wasn't the first time I heard that reaction as I always fully aware every time I use the word (and observe how people respond). 

Mathematically, my parent's age is more than twice mine. And since the word 'old' is a relative term, so me calling my parents 'old' is, by all odds, correct. However, I can totally understand why some people avoid using the word 'old' to describe their parents. Frankly speaking, I WAS one of those people. It did irk me when one of my friends kept mentioning how old his mom is. I just didn't want to acknowledge that his mother IS old (as well as my parents are).

Clearly, I hated to notice that I have limited time to spend with ones I love most (you know what I mean). I preferred to be ignorant and not to care much about it.

Though however, if we think a bit further, we will realize how it can actually go the other way around. We will realize that "old" and "young" is not a certain standard to know who's leaving whom. The only certain thing is that our time is limited. While 'when the limit is' remains undefined. 

But then I finally realized that even though refusing that fact was understandable for a sentimental reason, it was just faulty at some points.

Remember the advise which Jessica gives to Harvey about treating others (Donna)? The picture of no longer having our most loved ones around can definitely change our perspective immediately.

As we accept the truth that "the end" has always been around the corner, we will try our best not to take things for granted. We will realize that people are a lot more important than things and it will affect the way we prioritize our stuff. We will no longer try to find time for ones we love, instead, we will consciously make time for them. 

Not knowing when the limit is, gives another good push too. We will listen more carefully and pick our words cautiously. We will appreciate every tiny thing people do and whenever we behave badly (especially to our loved ones), we will apologize quickly, in a heartfelt fashion, and completely. In other words, we will treat our surroundings in a much more loving way.

Acknowledging that, in every way I can, helps me to make the best decision in life - to put what matters most first, to treat my surroundings the way they should be treated.

Simply put, even though the touchy-feely side of mine couldn't bear to know that the time I have is limited, I really do my best to keep in mind that one day, I may find that I have even less time than I think I do. And I truly hope when the day comes, I will not regret the way I spend my time and the way I treat my surroundings.

..

Few weeks ago, during an interview..

"So tell me whom do you look up to in life? Whom do you most respect and admire, your inspiring figures?" 

"Ummm, I think I very much look up to both of my parents. My thoughtful old man and my compassionate old lady"

I could notice how my words made my interviewer felt uncomfortable. I was going to explain why I said that, but instead I preferred to shut my mouth. Now that I have written this, I think I'll just send it to anyone who brings that up next time.