Jan 3, 2011

Are you living the life you want?

I felt bad when I couldn't help my best friend when she told me that she didn't know what to do with her life. I know exactly I was in the same position back then. In fact, ALL of people I look up to whom I've asked about this said that they were too. So all I could say was just "no worries, you'll find it, soon hopefully."

Finding what we want to do with our life is a very personal thing. No one can help us except ourselves. One of my friends was lucky that he figured it out when he was 16. Some others might be even luckier, they found out much sooner, while some others found it years later (I know someone who figured out what he wants with his life when he turned 30). When will we find it? It depends. And I will say it depends on how much we care.

I hope this can make it easy for you.

Imagine, you have an inheritance of approximately a BILLION dollars. I believe it's enough for you to live for a hundred years ahead (unless you're living a Paris Hilton's life which I hope you're not =p).

With this big amount of money (let me say it again, it's all yours), will you do what you are doing now? Are you going to change your job? (Quoting my CELTA tutor) Which would you do again? What would you try differently? Please be a little bit rational (even you're still working on your imagination), you cannot change your past. If you want to change something, you can only change your present.

Do take your time to answer those questions because they will help you in knowing what you want. If you're going to quit your job and change several things, it simply means you are living the life you don't want. If you're not going to change anything, then you should be grateful for having a meaningful life.

As wise man said, "We only live once, but if we live right, once is enough," so make sure you live right. Two of my favorite quotes from someone who's living the life he wants go somewhat like this, "I don't make deals for the money" and "Money was never a big motivation for me," I can't agree more because when you're living the life you want you have something money can't never buy, true fulfillment.

Anyway, last night my best friend from British Council Indonesia shared me this Entrepreneur's credo. I don't want all of you to be entrepreneurs. I just want you to live the life you want. So here I'm sharing it, and you can fill the blanks with whatever profession you like. I hope you find it useful.


.....'s Credo

I do not choose to be a common man,
It is my right to be uncommon … if I can,
I seek opportunity … not security.

I do not wish to be a kept citizen.
Humbled and dulled by having the
State look after me.

I want to take the calculated risk;
To dream and to build.
To fail and to succeed.

I refuse to barter incentive for a dole;
I prefer the challenges of life

To the guaranteed existence;
The thrill of fulfillment
To the stale calm of Utopia.

I will not trade freedom for beneficence
Nor my dignity for a handout.

I will never cower before any master
Nor bend to any threat.

It is my heritage to stand erect.
Proud and unafraid;
To think and act for myself,
To enjoy the benefit of my creations
And to face the world boldly and say:
This, with God’s help, I have done
All this is what it means
To be a/an
.....



Ps. May all your dreams come true.. May you have a happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous years ahead.. And may you find what you're looking for :)